Developing Our Forest School Site









 

Although Early Years is my first love, a while ago I became a Forest School Leader and in all honestly have never looked back. Forest School genuinely speaks to my soul, and I believe, has the power to make School a much better place for everyone.


Forest School conjures up a whole heap of wonderful, natural, relaxing ideas and scenes to mind doesn’t it? I am a sucker for running water, there is just so much to explore and learn about in a stream! However, the reality is that Forest School sites have to work for your setting, your budget, your skills set and, probably most of all, your space.


Several years ago, I took on the role of Forest School Leader at my School, and can honestly say I have never learnt so much. At the time I was pretty fixed in my Early Years bubble, so the idea of leading something across School was both scary and exciting. I left my Forest School Leaders course ready to change the world. I didn’t bank on any resistance. I mean, who would?!




I learned quickly that just because I loved Forest School and it meshed with my practice, it wouldn’t necessarily work for other Teachers, but more of that later. This is about how our site evolved, a story of tragedy and joy! And how we got to be here, here being a good place. Not setting the world alight yet, definitely improvements to make, but certainly something we are proud of.


Maybe it will offer those starting out a little hope.



 



So, like I say, we are in a great place right now, our Forest School programme is one we are proud of and like so many of you I see on Instagram and in the blogging world, it creates magical moments every day.


But getting here has been a journey.


Not too long ago our School ran into disaster when our Local Woods became unavailable for our weekly Forest School sessions. I can’t lie, it was a huge blow, we had a fledgling programme running, and it was beginning to run across the whole school, this in itself had been full of challenges.


Anyway, the decisions were made and we had to find a new site. Three weeks before we were due to leave the woods (two of those being the Easter Holidays), my Head showed me this patch of land and asked if we could do anything with it.







‘We’ being me, my Husband and my son.


And so, in true Forest School style (You know, showing perseverance, teamwork, resilience etc) we began transforming the patch of concretey, disused and unloved land into a welcoming, natural escapism that would be our Forest School.


Did it feel impossible? Yes! Just a little bit! But I’ll show you how we made it work.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cupboard of Doom

The Magic of .....Potions, Early Years and Beyond